411

Teounimog

New member
14. Juni 2003
22
0
1
Hello,
It\'s the first time I wrote here even if I\'m an Unimog enthusiast from 4 years! Sorry but before year 2000 I didn\'t know mogs and It was love at first sight! now I have a 416 and a 411 and I love them, i\'m a student and I bought this trucks only for my pleasure, I thought I was mad but after some time I saw and met a lot of crazy people like me!
Now after this parenthesis, I have to ask you something...
A friend of mine has a 411c but its differtial locks doesn\'t work! they are oleodimanic and even I had this problem but I solved using the idraulic PTO. Did somebody of you had the same problem?? How did you solve?
Another question.. my friends would like to put the OM 616 on his 411, is it possible??
Thanks a lot, that\'s all for now
Sorry for my horrible english but I don\'t speak german, too!
Bye Teo
 
Teo,
you can fit any engine to a 411 if you accept major rework. The size of the 616 is different and you will have to change the cabin\'s interior as well as the hood.
I would recommend that you don\'t do it because the value of this Unimog will decrease dramatically. Better your friend buys a 421 and leaves the 411 as it is, this will finally be the better deal in view of residual value of the vehicle. Concerning the hydraulic diff. locks, it is often air in the system, which causes the problem. If this is not the case not, the pistons in the axle stick or leak, this is a major repair, because you have to dismantle the differential. Before doing this, try to get hold of a workshop manual, before you make some expensive mistakes.

You should tell us where you come from, maybe there is someone in your area who can help you with his experience.
regards
e.a.
 
Thanks a lot,
for the engine I told him the same things, it\'s better to find an old 421 but don\'t touch the great 411!
For the diff. locks, as I told I had the same problem but even after changing the o-rings in the pump and dismantling the differential changing the o-rings, I didn\'t solve the problem! I tried to cleaning out all the air in a lot of ways, but nothing! In the future when I\'ll decide to repair my 411 for my personal \"museum\" I\'ll try to do this.
Now I want to enjoy with my toy!
I\'m from Italy and here in my zone there aren\'t unimog experts, I prefer to make these works of my own (my father had a garage, eine werkstatt, is it ok??)
Best regards
Matteo

P.S.
Now I\'m looking for a 421 or a 406 cabrio....
 
Hi
My english is very bad, bud I will try to answer your question....
Is ist right, that your 411 has oil-diff-locks??? I don\'t know any 411 with these option! Normally there\'s a stick (i don\'t know the English word for \"hebel\") at the left side of the handbrake! If you pull the (Hebel?) the first part, you\'ve activated the 4WD. When you pull the seckond part, the diffs must be locked.
If not, correct the right position (einstellung?) of the (Differentialgestänge?).
I hope you will understand what i want to say.....
 
Dietrich, there are some 411 versions with hydraulic diff. lock activation, they have a master cylinder in the cab, activated with the lever you mentioned. The were only used on the late type axles, which means later than spring 1963. To get the air out of the system, you can press the oil backwards using the diff lock breather screws on each axle, e.g. with a football pump filled with thin oil, like mineral ATF. Even a few air bubbles in the hydraulic circuit stop the system working.
regards
e.a.
 
Hello Unimog fellows,

I can only support what Edgar wrote.

@ Teo
Perhaps you should consider purchasing a repair manual (either the 1st 401/411 edition or the 2nd 411/421 edition) although both are printed in German. They are giving some hints as to the hydraulic differential lock of the \"new\" axle type (1st edition found in chapter 33-5 and in chapter 35-5). Best case is, of course, you find someone to translate the contents of the manual from German into the Italian language.

I wish you success in escaping the air from your hydro diff lock system.

Best regards
and
keep on mogging
Gerhard
 
Hello,
Thanks a lot to all,
Next time I will come to Germany I\'ll buy these workshop books, last time I came to Germany I went to Gaggenau for the great 50th anniversary! It was fantastic! At that time I had only the 416 but after few months I found a 411 in average condition here in my zone, I think that it\'s destiny!
Bye for now...
If I\'ll have some problems, now i know where to write!
I would like to make an italian version of UCG! I\'ll see!
Teo
 
Hello Teo
You can buy the Work-Shop book by http://www.buchundbild.de/ The operating instructions are in Italian, Istruzioni per l\'uso Unimog 411. The Work-Shop book is only in German.
I hope I can you a little help.